Mamaws angel

My son, grandson, & grand daughter

My son, grandson, & grand daughter
Happy Times

MY HUBBY & ME

MY HUBBY & ME
LAKE TAHOE

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's day

Today is Father's day. It has always been bittersweet for me.Up until I got married, it was just another day to me. My earthly father was never much of a dad and I've struggled all my life with the thought that he never really cared. On December 1st 2006 my dad suffered a heart attack and laid in the hosptial untill December 16th 2006. He passed away before I could get there. A few days before he passsed I was sitting in his room just watching him. I had the most overwelming feeling that brought me to tears. As I looked at him, I realized that this man that was my father was really a total stranger to me. I knew very little about him and I have very few memories with him. I began to think back on the first time I ever laid eyes on him I was 8 yrs old. and my mother had tracked him down because I was crying wanting to know who he was. I remember that phone call more clearly that I would like. I overheard my mom telling him, "Tom, I don't want nothing from you, no money, nothing, but I'm begging you to just be a daddy to her" Didn't seem to hard, but he couldn't even do that. Over the next 40 yrs he was in and out of my life. He would come around for a couple of weeks, then I might not see him again for 3-4 yrs. My children were born and they never called him grand-pa. It saddened me to know that no matter what I did, I couldn't make him come around. I have come to understand, he loved me the only way he knew how. I have also shed many tears that on this side of heaven I will never know the man he was inside. Other than he was a loner, made beauitful wood working projects, and didn't want much to do with anyone. That about sums it up!! I have 4 half sisters that didn't know him any better than I did. I wonder as my father laid dying, if the thought occured to him that he had 5 daughter's, 9 grandchildren that he never got to know. Life passes much to quickly not to make every moment with loved ones count. I still have much healing to do on this.

4 comments:

Plant Lady said...

Tommie,
It's been a while since I have visited you. Hope you are doing well.

I am really sorry that you did not get to know your dad the way you would have liked. Sometimes it is difficult for some to open up and show love to others and it sounds like your dad may have been one of those people. There may have been circumstances in his life that you are unaware of that was a factor in his behavior toward you and his other children. It is difficult to know what events may have happened to him that caused this behavior.

Tommie, just remember the beautiful woodworking that he did and remember that you were not singled out- as you stated, he was a loner and didn't want much to do with anyone. DO NOT take his behavior toward you as a symbol of your worth. YOU ARE HIGHLY VALUED by your HEAVENLY FATHER and by your family as well as this Plant Lady!

From the Heart said...

Tommie, I read your comments on Rachel's blog. My dad was never a real father to me but in the last years of his life the Lord showed me 3 times that he had given his heart to Him. I asked him one day if he loved Jesus and he said he did with tears rolling down his face. I'm so thankful for those last few years. He only went to the 2nd grade, could not read nor write and I believe this had an affect on his life. He lived to be 83 and my mother was 89 when she went home to be with the Father.

I also read that you got to see your granddaughter. That is a blessing I know. I assume from the way you wrote that this is your son's daughter. I look forward to reading your post about that day.
Praise God, He always answers our prayers,
AliceE.

Dana said...

Tommie,
What wonderful news that you got to see your granddaughter!! Many prayers were lifted up on your behalf by your friends in the Bible study and our merciful Father in Heaven granted the request. Praise Him!! He is soooo good. I can't wait to hear all about your visit.
Tommie, I'm sorry that your relationship with your earthly Dad was not the greatest. I will be praying for God to open your heart and spirit to remember something good and comforting about him. Trust Him. He will. Talk to you later.

Love,
Dana

GOD'S LADIE said...

Tommie,
I can definately relate. I, too, do not really "know" my father. I mean I can count on 1 hand how many times I have seen him in my 31 years on this earth. 4 times, when I was 12 for about an hour, 15 in a store for about 10 minutes, 17 in Popeyes where I worked at the drive thru and 26 when he wanted to use my phone for about 30 minutes. I have not seen him since. I have forgiven him for not being in my life and literally begged him to start a relationship while I am an adult so that he can get to know his grandkids. But he has yet to accept this, he just says he doesn't deserve my forgiveness. It hurts that he doesn't want to get to know me, his daughter, but My heavenly Father reminds me everyday and moment how he loves me so unconditionally. I am still healing as well.